The Dil se Dill Independence Day Friendship Concert received a wonderful boost this week when the United Nations Millennium Campaign joined Friends Without Borders and Routes 2 Roots as a partner for producing the event.
We are tremendously excited to have the United Nations as a partner, both for the credibility it give to our initiative and because it give us an opportunity to help build public awareness for the United Nations Millennium Development Goals.
The United Nations has set a target of 2015 for achieving the eight MDGs:
* Goal 1: Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger
* Goal 2: Achieve universal primary education
* Goal 3: Promote gender equality and empower women
* Goal 4: Reduce child mortality
* Goal 5: Improve maternal health
* Goal 6: Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
* Goal 7: Ensure environmental sustainability
* Goal 8: Develop a Global Partnership for Development
July 2007 marks the half-way point to 2015, and the objective of the UNMC is to support the people of the world in holding their governments responsible for meeting the MDGs on schedule. We hope that the Dil se Dil Independence Day Friendship Celebration will bring greater awareness of the MDGs throughout South Asia.